Tuesday, December 25, 2018

Christmas Eve

Christmas Eve is such an interesting day.  A day full of anticipation, excitement and what is to come.  Yet at the same time that the kids are full of indescribable energy I found myself so very melancholy so often today.  The drain of the Christmas season, the distance from family, the to do list and the loss of my grandma.  They weighed on me today.  Lucky for me we had invited friends over before my Grandma's passing and it was still on the schedule.  The arrival of friend, the distraction and added joy.  It was what this day was in need of.  
 We had quite the snow machine trip that included all 8 of us and ended up being quite epic for Zachary and I.  In the end I am thankful I still have my nose!  Cold out there.  We came together for a big turkey dinner and how fun Brandy and Tony were, they dove right in and helped with all of the preparations. We left the table full of dishes and the kitchen a disaster and headed to church for our candle light service.  Ethan was picked this year to light the candle of Hope, he was so proud.
 At home the kids dressed in Christmas jammies while I cleaned as much as possible.  Then we had egg nog and the reading of the Night before christmas in front of the tree.  
Off everyone went to bed and I got to work.  In just over 2 hours the kitchen and all of dinner was cleaned up, living room was rearranged, presents were pulled out of hiding and the stockings were stuffed and hung with care.  

I now sit and just think.  I think of the months I have spent finding just the right gifts.  I wonder about what the kids will think.  But most I think of the anticipation.  Of Mary, full of child.  Ready to greet her baby but so unsure of what was before her.  I think of the promise of peace, hope, redemption and love that was to be brought to earth.  I love this night.  Tomorrow will bring energy and excitement.  Tonight brings peace.  The table is set with our "fancy" dishes for our special breakfast, gifts await, house is clean and the children are resting.  How thankful I am that the Lord gives us this season of gifts and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment